Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Newton simplified!

First of all, let me confess this. I am not a scientist nor an engineer; heck I did not understand most of physics when I needed to in high school too.

Having that out of our way now, let me explain to you about how I understand Newton's law of motion.

First law: When viewed in an inertial reference frame, an object either remains at rest unless acted upon by an external force.

The object is me. On a Sunday. On my couch. I will remain in Inertia (constant state of rest) unless acted upon by an external force; which is my family ofcourse.
The external force can be verbal:
Get up and take a bath you Ogre
Go and get those chips yourself
No I am not going to pass the remote
Or Non-verbal:
Switching of the fan
Taking away the tv remote
Cleaning the fan in the room so that dust floats around like snowflakes on your head

Second law: F=ma. The vector sum of the forces F on an object is equal to the mass m of that object multiplied by the acceleration vector a of the object. (F/m=a)

A Maruti 800 has very less weight as compared to others; so does the 185 year old gentleman driving the car. Thus; the force required by him to gain the acceleration necessary in first lane is too much. Beyond capabalities of his car or him.
Yet he refuses to move out of the lane which requires a different experiment and law to understand.
Adding external Force to this by honking like a maniac from behind may increase the acceleration.

Third law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

This is precisely proven in a Mumbai local train. Every verbal abuse you give is met by an equal abuse by the opposite party. Similarly, every push you give, every nudge, will be met by equal and definitely opposite force.

That was a quick science lesson for you. Do let me know if you wish to learn any other complicated Science Voodoo stuff.

7 comments:

  1. Science very nicely correlated to real life !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! that cracked me up! the first one esp. is so cool! I can relate fully with it :P

    'an electron walks into a bar and orders a drink but does not pay..why?? because it was a no charge for him!!

    hahahahaha!!

    (sorry for dumping a PJ on ur blog:P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No issues in u sharing the pj... but it is technically wrong....

      A Neutron has no charge

      An electron has negative charge

      :P

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete